Library Associates of the Claire T. Carney Library
The UMass Dartmouth Claire T. Carney Library Associates is a public organization open to all. We seek to promote the library by offering programs that reflect the library's mission and by raising funds to help develop its collections and a variety of services to faculty, students and the public. The mission of the Library Associates is to support academic programs, extra-curricular activities and community organizations.
About the Claire T Carney Library Associates
Founded in 1974, the UMass Dartmouth Claire T. Carney Library Associates is a community-based group with goals to:
- Promote understanding and appreciation of the library's mission, policies, plans, and concerns.
- Enrich the library's resources and facilities through gifts and contributions.
Library Associates 2009
The Claire T. Carney Library Associates regularly sponsor lectures and programs by local authors, artists and experts in a variety of fields. Special social events are also planned each year. Proceeds benefit the Claire T. Carney Library.
Recent and ongoing projects include
The Browsing Area. A popular first floor collection of 4,000 volumes of current fiction, biography, poetry, current events, supported and initiated by the Library Associates.
The Archives and Special Collections includes the Ferreira Mendes Portuguese American Archives, the Archives of the Center for Jewish Culture, the Howard T. Glasser Archives of Folk Music and Letter Arts, the Robert F. Kennedy Assassination Archives Collection and many other fascinating special collections.
The Library Book Plates program provides for individuals or families who purchase books in honor or memory of loved ones. The plate is placed inside the front cover as a lasting tribute to the person and as a worthy contribution to higher education.
The Library Associates makes an annual donation to the Claire T. Carney Library for the support of the archives, books, and other aspects of the Carney Library expansion.
For more information, contact Susan Raidey-Klein, Collection Development and Library Acquisitions at 508-999-8666 or Email Susan Raidey-Klein
Benefits of Membership
- Members are eligible for enhanced borrowing privileges of up to 20 books at a time.
- Members receive mailing notices of our regularly sponsored lectures and programs recognizing authors, artists and experts in a variety of fields.
- Celebrate with us at our annual fundraising event at the Wamsutta Club.
- Members have the opportunity to participate in our literary group. An opportunity to meet people interested in helping the library!
- An opportunity to meet people interested in helping the library!