Temple Sinai

Temple Sinai

Temple Sinai

In 1964, just prior to Tifereth Israel ’s move to the West End, a group of more than 40 individualsestablished a Reform Congregation, Temple Sinai.In 1968 the congregation purchased a church at 169 William Street to hold services.The congregation operated there from about 1965 to 1977, and then the members came back to the new Tifereth Israel on Hawthorn Street.The building which housed Temple Sinai was originally built in 1854 when it was home to the Universalist Church (1854-1933). In 1933 it became Pilgrim Church and today is the home of Gallery X.

From Union St., turn right on County St.then after one block, turn right again on William.Temple Sinaiwas located on the left-hand side of the street.

A 1964 newspaper clipping from the Standard Times about Rabbi Lewis C. Littman's service to Temple Sinai
A 1964 newspaper clipping from the Standard Times about Rabbi Lewis C. Littman's service to Temple Sinai

Back to Tour Outline 
Next to North End