History of UMass Dartmouth and the University Archives

The Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections serves as the permanent home for the historical records and artifacts of UMass Dartmouth and its predecessor institutions, New Bedford Textile School and the Bradford Durfee Textile School, as well as the Swain School of Design.  Records include official documents, catalogs, reports, correspondence, photographs, audio and video resources, maps, plans, and artifacts that document the history of the institution.  Consult our LibGuide, "Sources for University History"  for help in researching the history of UMD.  For information on the architect who designed our campus, Paul Rudolph, see the Paul Ruolph web site at http://prudolph.lib.umassd.edu/umassd

UMass Dartmouth History and the Textile Industry, 1895-1947

            New Bedford Textile School (NBTS)

            Bradford Durfee Textile School (BDTS)

UMass Dartmouth History After World War II, 1947-1960

            New Bedford Institute of Technology (NBIT)

            Bradford Durfee College of Technology (BDCT)   

SMTI (Southeastern Massachusetts Technological Institute), Created 1960

           Creation of SMTI, July 7, 1960

           Groundbreaking for a New Campus, June 14, 1964

           Designing a Campus

           Consolidation at Last! July 1, 1964

           First Academic Building Opens, June 5, 1966  

SMU (Southeastern Massachusetts University), 1969

University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 1991

Swain School of Design

UMass School of Law – Dartmouth


Fast Facts:

Chronology of University Names

Past Presidents and Chancellors, 1895-2017

Campus Buildings Chronology



Catalogues and Yearbooks (full text)

UMass Dartmouth Publications Index (Torch and more)


Related web sites:

Trials and Triumph:  UMass Dartmouth 1960-2006 Oral history Project

Paul Rudolph (architect) and the UMass Dartmouth campus, 1960 - 1995

"Sources for University History" Libguide for researching a topic